Raipur, May 23 (MNN) Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel said on Sunday that a District Collector had been removed from the post after a video of him slapping a youth during a lockdown went viral on the social media.
“A video of misbehaviour of Surajpur Collector Ranbir Sharma has come to my notice through the social media, which is painful and condemnable. Such actions will not be tolerated in Chhattisgarh. Orders have been issued to remove Sharma from the post with immediate effect,” the Chief Minister tweeted.
In another tweet, Baghel said that such conduct was not acceptable from any officer in his administrative capacity.
“I am angry over the incident. I express my regrets to the young man and his family,” he added.
Sharma had accosted the young man on the road while he was on way to buy medicines for his grandparent and slapped him and threw his cell phone on the ground. The IAS officer of the 2012 batch later apologised for his behaviour.
The Chhattisgarh CMO later tweeted that as per the directions of the Chief Minister, the youth whose phone was damaged by the Collector will be provided a new phone.
Maharashtra Congress leader Sanjay Nirupam first tweeted that the IAS officer had been sacked, but later corrected himself to say that he had come to know from his supporters that Sharma had only been transferred out of the post.
He said that he supported the demand for the sacking of the erring officer. “The officers should be fearful of the public. Demanding respect is a thing of the past century,” Nirupam posted.