Stresa (Italy), May 27 (MNN) Police had detained three persons in connection with an accident in which a cable car had plunged into a wooded area on Sunday in northern Italy, killing 14 persons and leaving a five-year-old boy critically injured, reports said on Thursday.
The accident happened when the Stresa-Mattarone cable car connecting Stresa town with nearby Mottarone mountain plunged into a wooded area on Sunday morning, the National Alpine Speleological Rescue Corps had said at the time of accident.
Those held were cable car company owner, its director, and service’s operational chief, Ansa reported.
They were allegedly involved in deliberate deactivation of emergency braking system on the cable car, as it had repeatedly kicked in following a series of technical problems.
The emergency brakes could have held the cable car steady after one of its cables broke.
The Italian investigators had launched multiple manslaughter probe after the accident.
The cable had snapped just as the cable car was at the end of its 20-minute journey from Lido di Stresa piazza on Lake Maggiore to Mottarone station some 1,491 meters above the sea level on the mountain top.
The wooded area where the car crashed had no direct road access. Thirteen persons were earlier confirmed dead by the rescuers while two boys had been shifted to Turin in serious condition. One of the boys later died, increasing the death toll to 14.
Meanwhile, doctors said on Wednesday (local time) that the five-year-old boy — the only survivor of the disaster – has opened his eyes.
“The gradual reawakening (from sedation) is continuing and he was just extubated,” Giovanni La Valle, Director General of Turin’s City of Health complex, was quoted as saying by Ansa.
The boy lost his parents, great grandparents and younger brother in the tragedy.